- About us
- How to buy
- Contact us
- Artists Information
Richard Spare studied painting at Maidstone College of Art from 1971 until 1974. A regular exhibitor at the RA Summer exhibition, Richard has undertaken many notable projects with David Hockney, Robert Ryman, Francesco Clemente, Donald Sultan and Keith Haring to name but a few. In 1977 he worked with Hockney as his assistant, building an etching studio for him. Richard has also worked with Jasper Johns in New York - proofing and editioning complex carborundum prints.
Today, Richard concentrates solely on his own work. Most of his paintings derive from his travels or from aspects of domestic life such as objects he enjoys having around him. He recently designed a garden in his studio which has proved a rich source of inspiration and a starting point for much of his work.
The velvety quality of his work is achieved by using a drypoint etching technique with the inspiration for the vibrant colours coming from his travels to India and Nepal. Richard has exhibited widely both in the UK and abroad. Most recently his work has appeared in the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.
Recent Exhibitions & Shows
* Trevelyan College, University of Durham, Colour & Line, joint show.
* Originals 2007, The Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1.
* One-man shows throughout Japan, including: Tokyo (Tamagawa, Utsunomiya, Nihonbashi, Shinjuku and Ginza), Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Hiroshima and Fukuoka
* Art for life, Christies, St James, London W1.
* Bianco Nero Gallery, Stokesley, N.Yorks. wildlife show
* Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2007
* Originals 2006, The Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1
* One-man show, Craft Centre and design Gallery, City Art Gallery, Leeds
* The Power of 3, Rostra Gallery, Bath.
* Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2006
* Chichester Open Air Exhibition 2006